Reader Club Trip Reviews
We've taken group travel organisers to some fantastic places over the years.
And we always send one or two members of the editorial team to cover our familiarisation trips and to find out the most important thing of all - what the readers thought.
Below is a selection of review articles from recent Reader Club trips. If you have never been away with us before, you can get a good idea of what it's all about.
Click on an article that interests you below to read more and visit our Forthcoming Trips page to see what current fam trip promotions we are running with our travel trade partners.
- History and food, glorious food Laura Sexton reports on Group Leisure's latest Reader Club trip to Melton Mowbray, which included pork pie demonstrations, cheese tasting, and exploring Belvoir Castle. Further highlights included a tour of Belvoir Brewery, a visit to a heritage windmill and an unexpected carvery.
- Review: Norton Grange Coastal Village Rachel Bailey reports on our latest Reader Club trip; a weekend spent at Warner Leisure’s Norton Grange Coastal Village on the Isle of Wight, that included everything from an archery lesson and a historic walk to live music and delicious food.
- Review: London’s Bankside Sarah Holt and some of our readers went to London's Bankside for our November Reader Club Trip. The Globe, The Switch House at the Tate Modern and a stop at Pizza Express were on the cards. Here's how the group got on...
- Wake up in Wakefield Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield Beer Exchange, the National Coal Mining Museum and National Trust Nostell were just a few of the highlights from the latest Reader Club Trip. Sarah Holt explains why it's Wakefield's turn to step out of the wings of the UK’s tourism industry and into the limelight.
- Review: In And Around Cambridgeshire From the National Stud to Capability Brown landscapes, here’s what Rachel Bailey and some of our readers got to experience on our latest Reader Club trip. Audley End House and Gardens, Newmarket Racecourse and IWM Duxford were all on the agenda.
- A trip to the Coronation Church Rachel Bailey and Group Leisure readers got into the festive spirit on the December Reader Club trip to the beautiful Westminster Abbey. The day trip included a verger-led tour of the abbey, afternoon tea, and listening to a boys' choir at Evensong.
- Cardiff: rugby, history and Doctor Who Rachel Bailey, along with a group of Group Leisure readers, explored Cardiff on this month’s Reader Club trip. Highlights included Cardiff Castle, the Wales Millennium Stadium, a boat tour on the river Taff, and a trip to the Doctor Who Experience.
- Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel: a Warner welcome Sarah Holt accompanied GTOs from all over the UK to spend a weekend at Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel. Run by Warner Leisure Hotels, the property's roots can be traced back to the 15th century. However, as Group Leisure readers found out, it's got a contemporary side, too.
- Leicester: time capsule country Sarah Holt joined GTOs from all over the UK to explore the rich history of Leicester and Leicestershire.
- Reader Club review: Gloucester
- Shipshape and Bristol fashion A long weekend in Bristol introduced GTOs and Carrie Martindale to pirates, big ships, a city packed-full of culture, art, music and above all - bags of history. Our latest Reader Club trip to the south westerly city, home to Brunel, also took in a visit to Arnos Vale Cemetery,...
- Lancaster: Small City, Big Story Carrie Martindale joined readers on a magic-filled trip to Lancaster involving witches, coffee-fuelled entertainment and lots and lots of good food.
- And they’re off... Carrie Martindale took in the sights of Windsor on our Reader Club trip, incoporating visits to Windsor Castle, Ascot Races and the Savill Garden.
- Exploring Stratford: the ArcelorMittal Orbit & Westfield Our latest Reader Club trip to Stratford in London on 23rd April combined a trip up the ArcelorMittal Orbit with shopping at Westfield Stratford City. Find out how readers got on and decide if this could make a great day out for your group. Rebekah Tailor reports.
- A Duchess’s Dream Carrie Martindale joined GTOs on our latest reader club trip, to The Alnwick Garden, where they were treated to a private tour of the attraction by the Duchess of Northumberland.
- Delicacies from the food basket of England Rachel Bailey and a group of our readers headed to the district of East Lindsey in Lincolnshire for ale-tasting at a local brewery, a stroll round Gibraltar Point National Nature Reserve, a taste of the seaside at Skegness.
- A day of British icons and Hollywood glamour We took readers on a day's familiarisation visit comprising a tour of the Houses of Parliament followed by movie-themed fun at Planet Hollywood on Haymarket, where GTOs were treated to food and drinks plus a tour of this Hollywood-inspired restaurant.
- Gardener's Delight We prove on our latest Reader Club trips why the Royal Horticultural Society offers a brilliant day out for groups by enjoying two flower shows, two venues, and two days of flower-filled fun.
- Dorset’s very own Swan Lake and The Secret Garden Rachel Bailey reports on the latest of our Reader Club trips to Abbotsbury Swannery and Subtropical Gardens, proving why this corner of the world is such an appealing destination for tourists.
- Longleat: an estate full of possibilities GTOs joined Group Leisure for a Reader Club trip to Longleat House, Safari and Adventure Park in Wiltshire.
- A feather in the cap for Nottingham With stately homes, famous names and a legendary history, we discovered Nottingham to be full of surprises. It wasn't just about Robin Hood on our recent Reader Club trip - we visited the home of Lord Byron; saw some fabulous artefacts at Nottingham Castle; and were treated to a backstage...
- Gosport - the south coast town that's full of surprises We joined a group of readers for a familiarisation trip to Gosport to get up close to a nuclear missile, cruise the Solent, step onboard a submarine and visit the world’s only museum of Hovercraft.
- In an English country garden Nominated least green-fingered of the Group Leisure team, Melissa Cadby joined English Heritage on a Reader Club trip to Wrest Park and Audley End House and Garden, with the aim of sourcing some outdoor inspiration.
- Seaside fun in Blackpool Rob Yandell joined the latest Reader Club trip comprising a two-day tour of Blackpool to see how millions of pounds of investment have been spent to give you a group trip full of fun.
- London is moving east London’s east and the Olympic legacy were the focus as we joined readers to cast a spotlight on the Borough of Newham and explore the exciting results of an ongoing regeneration project of the Royal Docks and Stratford. In a city which boasts such a lively hub, complete with historic...
- The merriments of Manchester Group Leisure received a warm northern welcome during the last Reader Club trip of 2011 in Manchester. Melissa Cadby reports.
- Portsmouth: “the total package” Rebekah Tailor enjoyed a day of sunshine, the Spinnaker and seafaring history on our recent Reader Club trip to Portsmouth.
- Fit for a king Group Leisure readers were invited to take a fresh look at the area of Hull and East Yorkshire; Carrie Martindale went along with an open mind.
- Windsor’s a win, win for groups Windsor will charm you as soon as you step off the coach with its picturesque lanes and cobbled streets dotted with quaint shops, restaurants, bars and pubs. Rob Yandell joined a large group of readers to explore the area. A short break would give your group a hugely enjoyable few...